So many things can happen to your belongings while it is sitting ideal in storage. Extreme temperatures, moisture build-up, and pests are the most prevalent worries, and rightly so. Then how can you ensure your possessions are in the exact state when you pick them up as they were when you dropped them off? Climate control storage may be the answer! Here is what the best moving company in Mclean VA has to tell about climate-controlled storage.
Also known as temperature-controlled storage, climate-controlled storage is a kind of storage that’s specially designed to sustain stable temperatures & humidity levels. Usually, the temperature will stay still at between 55 and 85 degrees Fahrenheit. Most often climate-controlled storage is found at storage facilities with indoor storage units, although it’s worth asking an outdoor or drive-up storage facility if they’ve temperature-controlled options.
Items that need temperature-controlled storage:
Very much all stuff in storage will benefit from temperature control, but some truly require it, including:
- Media (DVDs, videos, vinyl records, etc.)
- Clothing, especially if it is lace or leather, or if it’s going to be stored in bags
- Important documents
- Musical instruments
- Furniture (anything made from or containing wood, metal, wicker, leather, or upholstery)
- Musical instruments
- Collectables (stamps, coins, comic books, etc.)
- Medical supplies & medications
- Household appliances
- Sports equipment
- Bicycles with leather seats
Why this stuff need temperature-controlled storage become more apparent as soon as you start thinking about how they react to humidity. For example, wood can become cracked, distorted, or rotted from humidity contact, whereas leather can become discoloured and is vulnerable to mould & mildew. On the contrary, electronics can become rusted or cracked, making them risky to use afterwards. And paper stuff including photos can actually crumble, or become otherwise indecipherable.
While trying to decide if stuff must be kept inside a temperature-controlled facility, do ask yourself the below-listed questions:
- Can it get mould?
- Can it warp, crack, worsen, or become discoloured from interactions with moisture?
- Would high heat make it to expand or contract?
- Is it designed to be stored at a specific temperature?
- Is it sensitive to excessive heat or cold?
- Is it rare, sentimental, and/or valuable?
If your answer to any of these aforementioned queries is yea, then it’s going to be in your best interest to look for a temperature-controlled facility.
Not sure how to find the best climate-controlled storage facility for your next move? Let the best Mclean Moving Company help you. Call Great Rate Movers now for immediate assistance.